It appears that “being awesome” is all the rage these days. Social networks are full of “just be awesome” related posts.
- Don’t forget to be awesome!
- Wake up. Be awesome. Go to sleep.
- Keep calm and be awesome!
This is great — except that no one seems to really draw attention to what “being awesome” actually means. As if the simple act of existing is “being awesome”.
The people who leave fast food trash in the parking lot next to their car are not being awesome. People who put others in danger by texting and driving? Not being awesome.
Rudeness? Arrogance? Selfishness? Judging people? Not awesome.
The majority of Youtube comments? Not awesome.
Being “awesome” doesn’t mean simply existing.
Being awesome involves acting in a way that contributes something of value to the people, places, and things that you connect with throughout your day.
Unless your mission is to be so annoying that people will feel relieved when you are not around, if your presence doesn’t add value, your absence won’t make a difference. And if you’re not making some kind of positive difference, that’s not “being awesome”. That’s not putting in any amount of effort. That’s simply existing.
So if you truly want to be awesome, always strive to contribute in such a way that you’re adding something of value wherever you may be and to whoever you come in contact with by doing more of what you’d like to see in the world.
This can be as simple as going out of your way to be kind to people.
It is in this way of adding value wherever you go that you will not only make a positive difference in the world at large, but also in your relationships, your work affairs, and any systems in which you play a role.
And that is awesome.
As Henry David Thoreau said, “Be not simply good; be good for something.”
- Collect value by contributing value
- If your presence doesn’t add value, your absence won’t make a difference.
- Your greatness is not measured by how much you’re able to gain…
- How to be a Superhero in Real Life (Part 1)
- If no one is surprised when you act like an assclown…
- A single act of kindness
- Be a catalyst for kindness
- Success isn’t just about accomplishment
- Never underestimate the power of a single act of kindness
- Everyone deserves someone who makes them look forward to tomorrow